A Fairmont Wedding at The Fairmont Winnipeg
“We couldn't think of a more perfect place to start our journey as husband and wife..."
Congratulations on your wedding! What made you decide on having your wedding with us at Fairmont?
Our wedding day was a multicultural event with guests flying from all over the world. It was important for us to have a venue that could meet our vision for classic elegance, provide a gourmet culinary experience and accommodate all our out of town guests with the incredible hospitality the Fairmont is known for. We couldn’t think of a more perfect place to start our journey as husband and wife.
Where did you have your ceremony?
We had two ceremonies, a traditional hindu ceremony at a temple and then our second wedding ceremony at the Fairmont itself. It made for a wonderful set of celebrations that incorporated both French and East Indian heritages. For the Hindu ceremony, Angela wore a traditional Indian bridal lengha and I wore an Indian Nehru suit. It was a beautiful event with lots of bright colors, music and love.
Tell us about the flowers you chose. Did you go traditional or contemporary?
The flowers were in classic ivory colours to complement the other gold accents of the wedding. Two different styles of centrepieces were scattered throughout the room. Round tables had centrepieces of Hydrangea, roses and stock and were arranged on tall flask vases with crystal strands. Square tables had Lower mercury glass vases with hydrangea, roses, and spray roses. The sweetheart table was adorned in a large arrangement featuring phaelanopsis orchids.
Tell us about the meal you served your guests. What type and flavor cake did you have at your reception?
After consultation with the Fairmont Head Chef, we decided on a four course dinner with choice of entrée.
- Soup: Forest Mushroom and Potato Chowder, Madeira Cream
- Salad: Organic Field Greens in a Cucumber Wrap with Cherry Tomatoes, Candied Pecans, Benedictine Crumble and Cranberry Maple Dressing
The entrée choices were:
- Chicken - Manitoba Chicken Wellington, Cafe au Lait Jus, Loveday
- Mushroom Duxelle Green Bean and Carrot Bundle
- Beef - Grilled Tenderloin, Sherry Jus Celery Root and Glazed Onion Ravioli Heirloom Carrot, Asparagus Tips and Brussel Sprouts Green Bean and Carrot Bundle
- Fish - Pan Seared Atlantic Salmon Fillet, Lemon and Caper Cream Parsnip and Apple Puree Vegetable Melange
- Vegetarian - Grilled Portobello Mushroom with Quinoa Tabouleh Tower Crispy Tofu Nuggets Grilled Lemon & Basil Pesto
- Dessert: Vanilla Bean Crème Brulee Cheesecake, Blueberry Sauce
A Dessert table was set out later in the evening with bite sized treats form Jenna Rae Cakes Including:
- Chocolate covered oreos
- Macaroons- lemon, raspberry, pistachio, salted caramel
- Lemon raspberry imperial cookies
- Mini cupcakes- vanilla with salted caramel and red velvet with cream cheese
- A six tier cake – the biggest Jenna Rae had made to date was cut later in the evening. The tier were different flavours alternating between lemon cake with raspberry buttercream and chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream.
What element(s) did you add to make the wedding uniquely ‘yours’?
Our families are extremely important to us and so our wedding was unique by fusing our two beautiful cultures together to make our wedding day extra special. We added our own personal style and touches to everything from flowers and linens to having a coffee bar for our guests and midnight snack of chicken fingers and fries (we are coffee fanatics and one of our guilty pleasures is chicken fingers and fries).
Another integral part of the day is the wedding dress! Tell us about what you chose to wear. Did you follow the old English saying “something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue”?
I found the perfect wedding dress with my sister while on vacation in Orlando Florida. It is a Liancarlo dress from Calvet Couture Bridal Boutique. It is a French lyon lace on tulle sweetheart gown with full mermaid skirt.
The first song we danced to as newlyweds was Kissing You by Des’ree. We chose it because it is a beautiful song with a lush, slow melody that was perfect for a first dance.
The best and most favorable moments were exchanging our vows, being pronounced husband and wife, the touching speeches at the reception and our first dance.
Vendors & Service Providers:
- Wedding Planning: Soirée Event Planning - www.soireeplanning.ca
- Photography: Jeremy Hiebert - www.jeremyhiebert.ca/
- Florist: Floral Elements - www.floralelements.ca/
- Linens & Chairs: Planned Perfectly - planned-perfectly.info/
- Cake & Dessert Table: Jenna Rae Cakes - jennaraecakes.com/
- Coffee Bar: T hom Bargen - www.thombargen.com/
- Make Up: Myuz Artistry - www.myuzartistry.com/
- Ceremony Quartet: Armadillo String Quartet - www.armadillostringquartet.net/
- Cocktail Entertainment: Carlin Lemon - www.bigcityallstarband.com/
- Wedding Dress: Calvet Couture Bridal - http://calvetcouturebridal.com
- Bridal Lengha: http://www.dineshramsay.ca/
For more information or to start planning your wedding at The Fairmont Winnipeg: