Sip, Swirl & TASTE: Washington Wine Month
Learn more about Fairmont Olympic Hotel or make a booking.
The Fairmont Olympic Hotel is thrilled to be celebrating its 3rd annual TASTE Washington Wine Month event series. Throughout the month of March, experience complimentary wine tastings* with some of Washington’s best local wineries. Sit back; sip some of the best wines Washington has to offer while listening to live local music and enjoying an extended happy hour.
Did you know...
- Washington is home to more than 50,000 acres of wine grapes
- Wine country in WA averages 17.4 hours of sunlight per day – that is two more hours than in California!
- Washington is the second largest premium wine producer in the United States
- There are more than 900 wineries and generates more than $3 billion to the state economy
- The WA wine industry employs more than 14,000 people directly and indirectly
- The Top 3 White Grapes planted in Washington are Chardonnay, Riesling, and Pinot Gris.
- The Top 3 Red Grapes planted in Washington are Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Syrah.
- Much of the area is considered high desert, with annual rainfall of just 7 inches a year
- In 1970, there were only 10 wineries in all of Washington State. Today, there are more than 750!
And a fun fact for our Canadian friends…
The first wine grapes in Washington State were planted at Fort Vancouver as early as 1825 by the Hudson’s Bay Company.
Bonus Fact: When it comes to producing #WaWine, one of the most significant phenomena is the difference between day time and night time temperatures – also known as the diurnal shift. This fluctuation in temperature – up to 40 degrees! -- helps to create ripe sugars (which will eventually be turned into alcohol) and crisp acidity in Washington State grapes.
*Psst! Don't feel like driving home after these wine events? Then book our Washington Wine Month Package and "take the elevator home." Rates starting at $255 with a bottle of limited addition Chateau Ste. Michelle wine and guranteed upgrade upon check-in.
Side Trip Alert: Just 30 minutes away, Woodinville Wine Country features over 100 wineries! Something for every discerning wine palate.