Caramel Apple Trifles
- The Fairmont Winnipeg
- 4 trifles
- 3 apples, diced
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 6 tbsp of 35% cream
- ½ tsp of kosher salt
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup caramel
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½cup quick cooking oats
- ½cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 25 MinutesPrep Time
- Total Time:
- 60 Minutescooking time
- To make the apples, combine apples, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon and brown sugar in a medium pan and toss to coat.
- Add butter and cook apples for about 15-20 minutes, or until at preferred softness.
- Allow to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Add sugar and water into a saucepan over medium low heat. Stir until sugar has dissolved. Use a wet brush to remove any crystals that form on the side.
- Now and then, using the handle give the pot a swirl to keep the mixture moving. Do not stir the mixture directly.
- The mixture will start to bubble after a minute. As the mixture darkens to a dark amber color, approximately 5-7 minutes, add the butter and cream to saucepan.
- The mixture will bubble wildly. Whisk to combine (bubbles will subside upon cooling). Add salt and stir to combine.
- Cool to room temperature
- Place chilled heavy cream in a bowl and using a whisk or a hand held mixer on medium speed or medium strength (for stand mixers use a low setting with the whisk attachment). Beat cream until soft peaks form and cream is light and fluffy. Gently fold in caramel sauce.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly
- Press evenly into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Fill two pastry bags, one with the mousse and the other pastry bag with caramel.
- Pipe a mousse layer onto bottom of glass.
- Pipe a second layer with caramel on top of the mousse
- For the third layer, sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the caramel
- Continue layering by repeating steps 2-4
More Posts From This Category
- Guest Stories
- Food & Drink
- Spa & Wellness
- Arts & Culture
- Fairmont Magazine
- Fairmont Cocktails
Copyright ©2017 Fairmont Hotels & Resorts. All rights reserved.Fairmont.com
This product uses the Instagram API but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram.