Twin Meadows Organic Cherry Pie
- The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge
- 2 Pies 9"
Homemade Spiced Port Preserved Cherries
- 1 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 Star Anise
- 1 Vanilla Bean, spilt lengthways
- 2 Strips of Orange Rind
- 750 Grams of Twin Meadows Organic Cherries, pitted
- 1 Cup Port
Homemade Pie Dough
- 3 1/3 Cups AP Flour
- 2 Cups Unsalted Butter
- 1/2 Cup Cold Water
- 1 1/3 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/4 Teaspoon Sugar
Twin Meadows Organic Cherry Pie
- 3 lb of Spiced Port Preserved Cherries
- 1/2 Cup Cornstarch
- Pinch of Salt
- Egg Whites for Egg Wash
- Sugar to Sprinkle
- Total Time:
- 1.5 - 2
Method for the Cherries
- Wash a 1L (4-cup) capacity glass preserving jar with plastic lid in hot soapy water and rinse well. Drain on a cooling rack.
- Place the sugar, star anise, water, vanilla bean and orange rind in a saucepan over low heat.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to high and bring to the boil. Add the cherries. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3-4 minutes or until cherries soften slightly.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the cherries, star anise, vanilla bean and orange rind to the glass preserving jar.
- Bring syrup to the boil over high heat. Boil for 5 minutes or until syrup thickens. Add port and bring to the boil. Use a candy thermometer to ensure syrup reaches 85°C. Pour syrup over the cherries in the preserving jar and seal immediately. Turn upside down for 2 minutes. Turn upright and set aside until cool. Label, date and store in the fridge for up to 1 month.
Method for Pie Dough
- Cut the cold butter in to small size cubes about 3/8th inches cubes Sift the flour & place it in a mixing bowl with K beater attachment. Add cold diced butter & work together to a mealy texture at slow speed.
- Mixture of Flour & Cold should have flaky or mealy texture.
- Combine the Water , Sugar & Salt together in a separate bowl. Gradually add the liquid mixture in to flaky flour & butter mixture.
- Mix gently until the dough holds together. Do not over mix or add too much liquid
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap & leave it to chill in the refrigerator.
- Dough should be thoroughly chilled before use.
Method for Pie Shell
- Lightly Dust the working surface & the wooden rolling pin with flour
- Separate about 8 oz of chilled dough & flatten using the rolling pin still maintaining the round shape of the dough.
- Roll out the dough from the center towards the edges. Periodically lift the dough & rotate. This keeps the dough from sticking to the work surface & helps produce even thickness. If it sticks sprinkle bit more flour. Roll out to a thickness of 1/8 of an inch. The circle of the dough should be 2” larger than the pie pan.
- Carefully roll the dough up onto a rolling pin.
- Position the Rolling pin over the Pie pan & unroll the dough, easing the dough in to the pan.
- Press the dough in to the pan and trim the edges as needed.
- Roll out another round of pie dough to the same thickness & leave it aside to cover the pie.
Method for Twin Meadows Organic Cherry Pie
- Preheat the oven to 380 F & Pre heat a sheet pan.
- Stir cornstarch, sugar & salt together in a bowl. Stir in up to 7 fl. Oz’s of liquid reserved from the cherries. Add enough liquid to moisten the mixture well. Add the drained cherries & mix well to get everything comes together. Leave it aside.
- Take the pre lined homemade pie shell.
- Place the filling in the unbaked pie shell.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Cut several slits in the dough to allow steam to escape during baking. Brush the top crust with the egg whites & sprinkle the sugar.
- Place the pie on the preheated sheet pan & bake for about 50 to 60 minutes in the oven
Enjoy this warm, organic cherry pie after a delicious meal in the Moose's Nook.
- Guest Stories
- Food & Drink
- Spa & Wellness
- Arts & Culture
- Fairmont Magazine
- Fairmont Cocktails
This product uses the Instagram API but is not endorsed or certified by Instagram.