Tail Wagging Trivia from Fairmont St Andrews!
Learn more about Fairmont St Andrews, Scotland or make a booking.
Dog owners! Want to know a few funky facts about your pet pooch, here are just a few that may shock and amaze you!
- A dog's heart beats between 70 and 120 times a minute, compared with a human heart which beats 70 to 80 times a minute.
- A dog's normal body temperature is 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
- A female carries her young about 60 days before the puppies are born.
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the smallest dog on record was a Yorkshire Terrier in Great Britain who, at the age of 2, weighed just 4 ounces.
- The longest lived dog, according to the Guinness Book of World Records, was an Australian Cattle Dog who lived to be 29.
- If never spayed or neutered, a female dog, her mate, and their puppies could produce over 66,000 dogs in 6 years!
- The only sweat glands a dog has are between the paw pads.
- Dogs' sense of hearing is more than ten times more acute than a human's
- A greyhound can run as fast as 45 miles an hour.
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible.
- A dog's whiskers are touch-sensitive hairs called vibrissae. They are found on the muzzle, above the eyes and below the jaws, and can actually sense tiny changes in airflow.
- Dogs can smell about 1,000 times better than humans. While humans have 5 million smell-detecting cells, dogs have more than 220 million. The part of the brain that interprets smell is also four times larger in dogs than in humans
- A Jack Russell can jump five times its height.
- Newfoundlands have webbed feet, which makes them great swimmers.
- Bassets can't swim because their legs are too short.
- Dogs and humans are the only animals with prostates.
Pet owners and fanatics how many of those did you already know? Did you also know that Fairmont St Andrews have now developed a pet perks pack which allows you to take your dog on holiday with you? In June 2011 the resort received Smudge, a three year old Golden Labrador, she is the most docile dog and will happily let children bounce on her back and play with her fur. Smudge works 9am – 5pm Monday to Friday in the reception, welcoming guests and usually takes them for walks around the 520 acre site. As Smudge encouraged lots of other dogs to visit, the resort has created a welcome pack so that dogs receive the same five star service that their owners do. On arrival your room will be kitted out with a luxurious dog bed, a practical water and food bowl on a waterproof mat and a fluffy dog towel and blanket. What more could your dog need! Fairmont St Andrews have also developed their own activities and "where to walk" hints and tips so you and your tail wagging pet get the most out of your visit to the stunning cliff top resort. Not only that, Fairmont St Andrews are now offering your four legged friends to stay free this fall if you visit with your dog between the 14th of September 2011 to the 20th of December… what more could you ask for!!
I hope you do try it – it's a great trip away with the championship golf courses: The Torrance and The Kittocks and the 5 star sumptuous Spa. There are also six diverse restaurants to choose from including the fine dining Esperante and The Clubhouse which was stunning views over St Andrews and the North Sea. If you would like to give it a go please call their reservations team on 01334 837000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!